I just want to start out by thanking my Dad for introducing me to the world of Grizzly Adams and Clark W. Griswold at the same time. Ha! What I mean by that is, my Dad loves to fish, but there was never a dull moment on a fishing or hunting trip with him. Either one of his sons drove the car off an incline and tore the drive shaft to bits, or they hooked themselves in the head (ie: ME) with a lure, thus again keeping him from fishing.
GROWING UP LIKE BOYS
But once again I thank him so much for letting my brother and I be boys when we were growing up. Thank God that in the midst of our crazy schedules, that my brother and I can still find time to have a few but memorable moments out on the lake, field or stream. The trip I want to share with you goes down in the books as one of the most memorable outdoor trips that I've ever had with my brother. It was with one of the top hunting and fishing programs called Spiritual Outdoor Adventures w/ Jimmy Sites.
THE TRIP
We began by meeting up at the most beautiful ranch in West Texas near Abilene. Some of the most beautiful land you have ever seen and miles of it. This was my first Turkey hunt and my brothers second or third. However he has never got himself a Turkey on the prior hunts. We starting out very early in the morning, earlier than Bryan and I generally like to wake up since we both have young kiddos. I love outdoors trip as such, cause there is not a Starbucks for miles, maybe hundreds, and generally not even cream or sugar. You pretty much drink and eat the way thinks come out of the coffee pot or pan. This is the Grizzly Adams part of the deal that our Dad got us use to at an early age. I LOVE IT! Most people that have gotten to know my brother (Bryan) and I later in life is usually dumbfounded at the fact that we were anywhere around anything involving camo and guns. Generally we hear, you two pretty boys going Turkey Hunting? Ha, they've got a lot to learn! Okay, so Bryan got his very first bird in the morning hunt. He did amazing, for the first shot ever at a Turkey. Way to go Bryan! Of course, now the pressure's on. For those that know Bryan and I from an early age know that we can be quite competitive when it comes to hunting or fishing. Since I always caught the most fish when we were younger, not that any of that has changed (wink, wink), this always cause Bryan to try and put the pressure on immediately on a trip of this nature.
THE HUNT
The afternoon comes for the second hunt. Boy was I worried that we wouldn't see a gobbler before the end of the day and thinking, what the heck would I do if I missed. You only get one chance with these birds. They are very, very smart. Jimmy (the host of the show) was in the tent with me using every Turkey call in the book. I don't think Jimmy liked hunting with me very much. I can't seemed to sit still for long periods of time without wiggling a bit and squeaking my chair and Jimmy is Mr. Grizzly Adams himself. I've never seen a man with so much patience. Sorry Jimmy! It was nearing the very end of the day and it was not looking good for getting myself a bird this trip, as I had to head home to Austin the next morning. Then low and behold, we get a text from Bryan and the Camera man, Brandon. "Two Toms coming from 2 o'clock!" Of course Jimmy and I totally thought they were messin' with us so we didn't put much stock in it.....until.......OH MY GOSH, here they come! Wow, my heart started pounding. Two big Toms coming our way. It'll make your heart pound when your hunting guide tells you to take the safety off. That's kind of a surreal moment. So I take the safety off and put my shotgun in position. I draw a bead on him and am ready to fire. As the Toms begin to create amazing footage for the show by completely destroying our decoys in a fight, Jimmy just keeps putting me off until they have what they need on camera. I'm totally ready to go, until he finally say.......okay......shoot em! Well now, by that time the only shot I had caused me to hold the butt of the gun directly on my bicep while the barrel of the gun is sticking out a tiny hole of our camo tent. For those of you that know anything about hunting, that's exactly where you DON'T want the butt of the gun. But, that's the only shot I had so I let 'er rip! First shot ever at a Turkey and...TURKEY DOWN! It was truly an amazing moment, and how cool that it is all documented on video and I was able to share it with my best bud and brother, Bryan.
THE MIRACLE
Generally after ever kill on a hunting show, the group of guys hunting all go out and take a look at the animal taken down. They have somewhat of an interview over the dead animal carcass. Our wives really love that part (sarcasm). Bryan and Jimmy went out with me and we began talking about how amazing it was that we got our very first Turkeys on the very same day of the first Turkey hunt we've ever been on together. Jimmy said over and over that it truly was a miracle. Some people hunt for years and years and never get a bird, let alone the size of ours on their first hunt. We also began to reflect on me and my brother's relationship over the years. In our younger years we didn't get along very well, anyone in our family could tell you that. I believe he got me in trouble a few times that I didn't deserve it and I'm pretty sure I beat a few doors down to get to him. Yet here we are, sharing our first Turkeys together on the same day in this amazingly beautiful land that God created for us to enjoy to the fullest. This also caused us to ponder on the amazing moments we had with Dad at a younger age. We just couldn't stop saying "we wished our Dad was here, we wish he were here." This hunt truly was a Spiritually Inspiring moment that we'll never forget, and that goes for everyone on the trip I believe.
Thanks to Jimmy Sites and Brandon Chesbro for providing such an amazing opportunity for my brother and I to reflect on how God can rekindle a brotherly relationship and how much influence our Dads have on us at an early age. That brings me to thank my Dad also for always letting Bryan and I be boys and teaching us all that he knew about the outdoors. OH.........and thanks to our lovely wives, of course, for letting us go!
If you're interested in viewing this two part show, go to www.SpiritualOutdoorAdventures.org, or keep your Tivo set.
COMING SUMMER 2008!


No comments:
Post a Comment